Sunday, August 05, 2007

SP 11 Questions

I'm participating in my very first secret pal, and I have to say I'm excited. I always heard such good things about people who participated, but I never seemed to find out about them until signups were closed. So here is my chance!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Hmm, there aren't many fibers I can't stand... I tend to prefer natural fibers, NO FUN FUR! I love the feel of Debbie Bliss Alpaca silk, although I've never actually bought it. I love hand dyed variegated yarn. I love color!

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Lantern Moon silk roll for hooks, Offhand designs circular clutch for circs, don't use straights/dpns much, so they just rattle around.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been crocheting for probably 5 years, and knitting for 4. I'd consider myself an advanced crocheter and an intermediate knitter.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, Amazon

5. What's your favorite scent?
Honey

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Um, yes? If it's sweet, chances are, I'll like it. I also love baked goods (brownies, cookies, cake, etc!). I love fruity stuff, too, such as the Japanese gummy snacks.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't spin, but I sew, and I quilt (sort of).

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I'm a big dork and I love show tunes, classic country (Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, etc.), Madonna, stupid pop (hello Spice Girls tour!)

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite color is orange, but I love any fall/harvest color. But there is really no color that I'd write off completely.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, with a brand new daughter Vivian. 2 very large cats and a turtle that is plotting our deaths.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Hats and scarves, yes, but since I live in LA, I don't have much use for mittens. And ponchos, not so much.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love to knit garments, particularly funky little sweaters (boleros, shrugs, tanks, etc.). No socks!

13. What are you knitting right now?
The Cloud Bolero (for the 2nd time -- great TV knitting)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I love handmade gifts.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Circular, definitely. I tend to use my Denise set for everything because it's convenient, but I love Addis and Bryspun if I have them.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, to both. My sister used to work in a yarn store, so I got spoiled a lot with fancy knitting equipment.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oooh, good question. I have a circular crocheted shawl that is probably about 4 years old. I just got bored and not happy with the yarn.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween! I love costumes.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Vintage knitting/crochet patterns and magazines, 1940s-1970s.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I really want Lace Style, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet. Although I don't subscribe, I love Interweave Knits/Crochet, KnitScene and Vogue Knitting (except for their Spring/Summer issue -- almost always crap).

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Fair Isle, although I don't know that I have the patience.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am not a sock knitter, but I've always wanted a pair of hand knit socks. I don't have the patience to work with needles smaller than size 8 (although I do knit combination style, so my knitting on 8s is like someone knitting English on 6s). How do you measure your foot? I wear a size 8 wide shoe, if that helps.

23. When is your birthday?
Oct. 24

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Sadly, I'm still waiting, and will be for a while:
  • You signed up on July 11, 2007
  • You are #15831 on the list.
  • 7798 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 7399 people are behind you in line.
  • 33% of the list has been invited so far

No comments: