Tuesday, May 22, 2007

what I know

Baby Vi will be making her debut sometime this summer. What we know now is that she will be coming out via c-section, rather than VBAC. This is not a surprise to Richard or I, although it seemed to be to our doctors.

We were told by the perinatalogist that delivered
Eliza that any subsequent pregnancies would be c-sections, because of the type of incision used in her delivery. Our current doctors, wonderful as they are, seem to only remember this information sporadically. Last week, at our ultrasound, our LA peri mentioned that even though Vi is breech right now, there is a good chance she'll turn so we could have a vaginal birth. Rich and I were so confused, that we didn't say anything. So when I went to my OB yesterday, I brought it up again. I told him that I just needed to know what we were planning. He proceeded to tell me that, as long as everything was going well, he didn't see why we couldn't try for a VBAC. At this point, I reminded him of my first delivery and the vertical incision. He hunted through my paperwork, and then said "Oh! You're right. You're definitely a c-section."

Now, I now that my doctors are very focused on keeping both me and Vi healthy, and they have a lot of patients, and they can't keep everything straight. So, I'm giving them a pass on this issue. But if I have to say it again, I'm going to get miffed.

So, again, what I know is that Vi will be delivered by c-section. The earliest our hospital will schedule a normal c-section (i.e., not needed early because of medical issues) is 39 weeks, 1 day. For Vi, that would be August 2. However, my OB has now stated that if there is the slightest issue, we'll go in around 38 weeks.

What else do we know? Well, Viv is not a small girl. In fact, she is very big, measuring 2 weeks ahead of where her doctors expect her to be. This could just mean that she's going to be a chubby baby. Or it could be a sign that I'm heading down the gestational diabetes road. Which I am not happy about. I had my 1-hour test yesterday and I get the results for that tomorrow. If I fail that test, I go in for a 3-hour test. I'm not feeling good about it, but we'll
cross that bridge when we get there.

What else do we know? Since we confirmed the c-section, we were able to sign up for a childbirth class specifically designed for a surgical birth. And since we signed up for that, we also signed up for our infant care class and breastfeeding class. It feels good to be taking these positive steps towards getting ready for Vi.

There's still a lot that we don't know, but I'm glad to hold on to those things we do know.

something else we know: she's awfully cute already!
Look at those chipmunk cheeks!