Friday, August 19, 2005

no sleep till Brooklyn

SnB last night was great -- about 15 ladies and people got up and rotated around so I got to talk to just about everyone. Ellen is making another Seraphina shawl. She is the bonafide Seraphina Queen! This is her 8th one to date. Sara #2 (we have at least 3 Saras at SnB) finished her first pair of socks, which deserves a big round of applause, as many knitters know how hard that second sock is to finish. Darcy showed off a positively racy knit tank and Crystal worked on a new baby sweater.

I am making good progress on the mohair sweater, despite the gauge issues. I've now made the separation for front and back, which of course means I'm no longer working in the round, which means purling for stockinette. Last night I had my first experience of purling combination style. After a few tries, I think I have it, although it is a bit funky (although I guess purling always is). Looking at the pictures and diagrams, I'm amazed at how far along I am on the sweater. Really, I'm more than half way done. And because the sweater is worked ine the round, and the sleeves & collar are knit directly onto the sweater, the only sewing together I have to do is at the shoulders. I am so close.

I'm also not sleeping very well. (I know, awkward transition, but I haven't finished my coffee) This morning was the first one all week that I've felt actually rested when I woke up. Tuesday night/Wednesday morning was the worst. I took two Simply Sleep but I still felt so horrible that I didn't come into work until 11 a.m. Wednesday night/Thursday morning was pretty bad, too. I thought it would be ok, because I'd had a few beers after our kickball game, and normally that puts me out. I took a couple of Simply Sleeps, too, but I tossed and turned all night. I got a few hours of fitful sleep, but wasn't rested at all. Last night, I was tired, but still, sleep was just out of reach. Deano kept whining, until I threatened to kick him out, then he settled down and went to sleep on my feet. I think I finally drifted off around 3:00, and woke up around 8:30 a.m.

I don't know what has me so stressed out. Well, actually it is probably the interview I had up in San Jose last week that I'm not all that excited about, but that I had a follow up phone interview with this week. I'm not sure I want the job, but how could I turn it down if I got it? I couldn't, not after all the bellyaching I've done over the past year and a half. So that's probably it. I just hope the sleeplessness goes away at camp.

Ah, yes, Camp starts tomorrow. I head up to Big Bear for 5 days and 4 nights with 35 15-17 year olds with chronic diseases. I know I'll have fun, but it's so draining (physically & emotionally) that I'm always a bit apprehensive beforehand. We have a bunch of reporters coming up, so I'll be quite busy. Hopefully, I'll have enough downtime to get work done on the sweater. So this is the last post for a while. Have fun!

No comments: