Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Spring Awakening

To me, nothing says spring food like asparagus (well, and Cadbury Mini Eggs, but that's for another post). When I saw asparagus at the Larchmont Farmer's Market on Sunday, I had to buy a couple of bunches. I didn't know what I was going to do with them until I saw this post over at The Kitchn about asparagus tarts.

Tonight, I decided to attempt the Bon Appetit recipe for Asparagus-Ricotta Tart with Comte Cheese. And oh. my. god. This was amazing.

I subbed in 8 oz. of Neiman Ranch ham steak for the salami, to make the tart more substantial. The tart has asparagus in every bite because you puree the bottom half of the stalks with the cheese and egg. Trader Joe's carries both frozen puff pastry and comte cheese. So yummy!

What says springtime food to you?

3 comments:

Ellen Bloom said...

Yummmm...that Asparagus tart looks divine!

What food says Spring to me? Matzoh! It's almost time for Passover and we cook EVERYTHING with matzoh!

Elizabeth said...

I happen to have asparagus and puff pastry at home so I might just have to give this recipe a shot!

Natalie said...

YUM! I made a similar tart recently with onion marmalade, ricotta, and some delicious Spanish cheese I cannot remember the name of. I have more puff pastry and see an asparagus tart in the near future!